2013 HSA Contribution Limits
The IRS has recently announced the new contribution limits for HSA’s (Health Savings Accounts).
HSA contribution limits:
- Individuals (self-only coverage) – $3,250 (up $150 from 2012)
- Family coverage – $6,450 (up $200 from 2012)
HDHP minimum required deductibles:
- $1,250 for self-only coverage
- $2,500 for family coverage
(Out-of-pocket expenses include deductibles, co-payments, and other amounts, but not premiums)
- $6,250 for self-only coverage
- $12,500 for family coverage
Under guidelines implemented in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, over-the-counter drugs may only be reimbursed if they have a prescription. If a policyholder uses an HSA to pay for items or services that aren’t qualified medical expenses, the tax penalty is 20 percent of the HSA distribution.